There are many different types of spine surgeries that you may need to get if you are suffering from back pain, sciatica, or a tumor in the spine. There are many reasons as to why you may need to get spine surgery. Spine surgery may need to be done if you have a tumor in your back. It may also need to be done if you are suffering from extreme back pain. Another reason that you may need to get spine surgery is if you suffer from sciatica, which means that your sciatic nerve is being compressed. If you are suffering from a herniated disc or a slipped disc in your back, then you may also need to have spine surgery.
There is not one type of spine surgery that you will need to get. Rather, there are many different types of spine surgeries that vary pending on your condition, the severity of your condition and where your tumor is located, if the surgery is done in order to remove a tumor. Listed here are some of the many different types of spine surgeries and spine treatments that you may need to have done if you are experiencing pain in your back:
- Spinal fusion. This is the most common type of surgery that you can get for your back. This is a type of surgery that works to fuse together your spinal bones.
- Laminectomy. This is a spinal procedure that involves a surgery where your neurosurgeon may remove parts of your bone, bone spurs or ligaments. This can be done for multiple reasons but really is done in order to relieve pressure or tension on your nerves that can be created for a variety of reasons such as injury. This type of surgery can also affect the stability of your spine and may result in the need for a spinal fusion in order to ensure that your spine is stable.
- Foraminotomy. This is a type of spinal surgery where your neurosurgeon will cut away the sides of your spine in order to decompress nerves and to make it easier for your nerves to function. This basically relieves the extra pressure that may be compressing your nerves.
- Diskectomy. If you have a slipped disc, then you may need to have a diskectomy. This is a procedure that involves a surgical method to go in and remove all or parts of the disc in order to decompress the nerve. This can also be done at the same time or in conjunction with a spinal fusion, foraminotomy or laminectomy.
- Disc replacement. This is a type of spinal surgery that involves replacing an injured or damaged spinal disc and replacing it with an artificial disc.
As you can see, there are many different types of spine surgeries that you may need to undergo. You will need to meet with your neurosurgeon in order to best determine which type is best for you. If you need a team of experts to consult with then you will want to reach out to the medical professionals over at Boulder Neurosurgical and Spine Associates.