When you get started packing up your self storage unit, you might not think about the possibility that the way you pack things could result in their ultimate survival or demise while in self storage. It seems unlikely to a casual packer that this could be something to consider, however it is an important note to make, as without proper packing techniques you could end up with a self storage unit full of damaged goods, defeating the purpose of the storage unit in the first place.
To begin with, packing items specifically with storage in mind is a bit different than packing them to go on a vacation. Many people imagine that they can just easily pack things up without really considering the ramifications of doing so, but you truly have to be methodical when packing up your things for storage for these reasons:
- It will keep them in better condition for a lot longer if you pack them wisely.
- You will be better able to locate things in your self storage unit.
- Unpacking your unit down the road will not be a nightmare when everything is packed carefully and labelled carefully as well.
So, how then are you supposed to “pack for storage” instead of just packing normally. First of all, consider the trip that your items are going to make before they end up eventually in your mini self storage facility. Will they be driven a long distance in the moving truck? Will you simply be packing up your personal vehicles and making a few trips? Your move-in journey has a big influence on your packing strategy, as this journey could do a lot of initial damage if not planned out thoughtfully and carefully. In order to do the job right, pack your items in boxes specifically made for them. For example, invest in wardrobe boxes for your clothes and dish boxes for your china and dishes. While this will be a bit more expensive at the outset, the pay off at the end is undoubtedly worth it. Consider purchasing a moving kit from A-American Self Storage to make packing your mini storage unit much easier! At the end of the day purchasing the right kinds of boxes is less important than careful wrapping of breakable materials and organized packing rather than haphazard stacking of many different items into one box.
Once you arrive at your self storage unit, the best packing strategies include a few major goals:
- Pack in aisles. This will make it easier for you to get around within your self storage unit and gives you a way to find things more easily.
- Put furniture and oddly shaped pieces in first so that you are certain to have room for them.
- Pack the unit in sections so that you know where items of different types are.
- Consider using shelving units to get your boxes off the ground. This will allow for better air flow throughout the self storage unit.
- Always keep the boxes labelled and keep more frequently used items close to the front for easy access.